Tips to build a strong foundation for a home
Building a foundation is more than just holding a house on the ground.
It’s not just a house constructed on a piece of land, building a strong foundation is of prime importance. It forms the roots to a strong tree that is meant to last forever.
There’s more to a good foundation than just digging a hole and adding concrete into forms. It requires a lot of customisation. Similar to tailor-made customised suit. One must take into consideration the soil conditions, water tables, even the quality of the backfill. This detailing requires perfection to the core – the base properly compacted, the formwork set up right, the concrete free of voids. Any neglect to the detailing could potentially be a flawed foundation.
- Perform soil evaluation before you go ahead and layout a foundation. Do not try to save money on this as it’s the most crucial part of the process. A proper foundation can be designed only after a proper soil evaluation is done.
- Incorporate proper grading at all levels right from proper piering for soil conditions to proper drainage which helps waterproof the foundation.
- Installing a proper drainage system is very crucial to the overall design so one must include gutters and downspouts in the home plan
- Be sure to have vapour barriers installed for the pier and beam foundations and more importantly they are properly vented.
- Inspect your foundation from time to time. Conduct a yearly inspection and resolve any drainage problems detected on priority.